View Single Post
Old 24-01-2019, 10:22 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkaz View Post
Has anyone had experience in doing this without the hand controller
Aaron there is a method to do alignment using just a declination circle and a small torch to read it - no handset required (!), and 2 stars of known declination. I learnt this in the days before GOTO mounts with old-school scopes that had a simple RA drive. I still use it always when setting up, as with practice I can do it in 5 minutes - faster than drift aligning, and faster than futzing with GOTO handsets.

This method will give an alignment around +/- half the finest division of the circle and with care you can do better; with my AZEQ6 I regularly get it within half a degree of the celestial pole.

It also pays to use an eyepiece with cross-hairs to centre the stars in the scope, I use a 20mm SWA with a graticule for this. Trying to eye-ball it without cross-hairs invariably results in a worse alignment.

This method assumes the dec circle has been aligned accurately to the optical axis of the scope, so that when reading -90 the scope is parallel to the RA axis and reading 0 means it is indeed perpendicular to the RA axis. Aligning the dec circle can be done in a few minutes using any distant object - with the scope on one side of the mount (a bright star near the meridian will do nicely) read its dec. Now flip the scope over in RA to the opposite side of the mount, centre the same star and read its dec. The correct value is the average of the two readings, adjust the circle accordingly.

The mount alignment procedure is:

1. Set up mount with the polar axis point roughly south (compass will do).

2. Choose two brights stars, ideally one low down near the east/west horizon wand close o the celestial equator (ie declination between +10...-10) and another near the meridian and high up (ie near the zenith).

3. Starting with the star near the east/west horizon, unlock the azimuth adjustment of the mount and set the dec axis to the declination of this star and clamp the dec axis securely. By moving the scope in RA and altering the azimuth of the mount, centre this star in the scope.

By this means you have set the azimuth of the mount, using the star as your compass. Lock the azimuth of the mount.

4. Now for the star near the zenith, set the dec axis to its declination and clamp the axis securely. Unlock the altitude adjustment of the mount. By moving the scope in RA and altering the altitude of the mount, centre this star in the scope.

By this means you have set the altitude of the mount, using the star as your compass. Lock the altitude of the mount.

5. If the adjustments in altitude/azimuth were large (ie >10 degrees) it is advisable to repeat steps 3-4.

6. Check the alignment by aiming the scope at a few stars and read their dec off the dec circle, it should agree with the catalog positions from Stellarium or Sky Safari within a degree.

Last edited by Wavytone; 25-01-2019 at 09:53 AM.