View Single Post
Old 13-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Smirnoff
Licensed to get drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi Smirnoff & All,

Well there's that and the fact that the PNn (central star) is sitting within a (relatively) "bright" spot -- the PNe halo itself that makes it harder to see the faint star, ratherr than in native "uncluttered" sky.
that's true, probably not much chance really until one makes it to the big leagues

Quote:
Still, the halo of NGC 2022 is not overly bright so I thought 15.8 was do-able in the 18". Can't discount the possibility of seeing it in 12 but much, much harder in that aperture I'd think.
I doubt it would be possible in a 12", unless one was observing from pristine skies. IMO it should be within reach of an 18" under excellent conditions. I've noted that these mag 15.9 stars in near perfect transparency, from my outer suburban location, nearly overhead, are that they are very feeble, just barely visible with averted vision, and only held in sight intermittently. The added complications of nebulosity and lower altitude would almost certainly be the nail in the coffin for this aperture class.

Quote:
You'd need quite dark sky and very good seeing and fairly high magnification at least to succeed and the concurrence of dark sky, and very good transparancy and good seeing is not all that common -- particularly at Vostok!

Best,

Les D
That's for sure! Down here at Vostok (better known as Melbourne), seeing has been garbage every night I've been out since last summer. My last nights of good seeing were last January and February! Realistically, I'm limited to 200x at best with my scopes, although pushing 300s and even 400s doesn't seem to bother these PNe's much despite the poor seeing. Stars however ,unfocusable at anything beyond 200x.

I did get a fantastic view of the the 6 trapezium components at sub 200x mags.