View Single Post
Old 13-04-2007, 05:15 AM
Ingo

Canons lower end cameras in my opinion do not stand up to Nikons lower end cameras. I will agree with anybody who says their 5D and 1D series completley put Nikon's D2h and D2x series to shame with noise control.

Nikons lower end DSLR's for wide field astrophotography with long exposures would be superior as their noise control is superior when properly exposed. A lot of people just say Canon because that's the only thing they've used. If you go Canon's high end, go for it. I have a 350D and a D50 along with a D200, I've done tests and really the 350D and D50 have no differences in noise control. My D200 only produces monochromic noise at ISO3200 underexposed -1EV, even canons 5D doesn't have noise control like that. The D80 has the D200's sensor in it (says Ken Rockwell, I don't know if it's true though) and would put the 400D to shame.

I am going full Canon soon though (1d3 or 1d2n) as I like canons range of zoom telephoto lenses for my sports photography and their low visible noise at high ISO's.

It's a hard decision, you wont be disappointed with either of them. It's all about personal choice, and which will accomodate your needs, canon might be your choice becuase there are well known mods.