View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 05:03 AM
astro744

I also use glasses at the computer and reading (slightly different script because of distance to viewing object). I also need glasses for star charts at the telescope but prefer not to view through an eyepiece with glasses on, even through long eye relief eyepieces. I also need to take them off when viewing the sky unaided.

My astigmatism is mild so I can get away without glasses at higher powers and smaller exit pupils but if that changes I may have to use glasses at the telescope (or Dioptrx) but my preference is still to observe without glasses when possible.

Long eye relief (20mm eye relief) eyepieces are available in short focal lengths from a number of suppliers. Tele Vue now has Delos and DeLite and used to have Radians which I have down to 3mm focal length. The Radians make for very comfortable viewing with or without glasses as I’m sure the Delos and DeLite would do to.

I once compared a 6mm Radian, 6mm Clave Plossl, 6mm Brandon and each time I swapped out the eyepiece I thought that I could see more detail (if seeing were better perhaps the difference in detail seen would be more obvious), but I did preferred viewing with the Radian because it was so comfortable with the 20mm eye relief (no glasses). I usually leave the click stop on the Radian all the way down or up one or two clicks at the most.

I can still view through the 6mm Clave and Brandon but they often stay in their case in favour of the Nagler 6-3mm and 4-2mm zooms. These have 10mm eye relief and 50deg apparent field and variable focal length which is all just about perfect for viewing planets (tracking preferred and no glasses).