View Single Post
Old 29-04-2012, 12:11 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auster1b View Post
Mark, love your work, envious of your dedication.
There are some projects I would love to tackle;
A tool and cutter grinder, so I do not have grind off hand.
A miniature Aero engine:
The inverted 4 cylinder Gypsy Major as in our Auster and eventually a radial 7 or 9 cylinder. As I said, I envy your dedication as I can see the work involved.
Lots of swarf though .
Have you seen this Aussie site about miniature IC engines:
http://modelenginenews.org/

Neil
Neil I cheated on the tool grinder . I thought about buying the warden kit fron the UK but bought the commercial version from Hare and Forbes (below) instead. Its a little ripper when it comes to sharpening drills, slot drills, end mills both 2 and 4 flute and shaping cutting tools in cobalt steel for the lathe. Will even do carbide tips. I have that website in my favourites but you have reminded me of it. You are right about swarf tonnes of the stuff when machining from solid, still the worst thing is getting the cam and crank journals to align to specs so the cam gears have the correct clearances. At least a good quality DRO is needed to even get close, oh and a very precise tool makers vice doesn't go astray either. Just couldn't do it without them and the tolerences on this motor are tight. Biggest problem is the miniscule size of most the components, I have to work with a watchmakers magnifying mask just to see what is going on . Next one will be a lot bigger.

Cheers

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (375.jpg)
72.9 KB34 views