View Single Post
Old 16-01-2011, 12:03 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Image Stacking & Exposure Question

OK I am still new to the photo processing thing. I have been getting some good images using my LX200 and a De-Rotator, but have some questions. I am taking 10 or 20 images at a set ISO for a set exposure time and then taking some darks and have a light box, so add a few flats. I then use Deep Sky Stacker to stack the images. I then process curves etc in photoshop...

I know that taking an stacking shots will increase data and image quality. However digital errors are not that random so why cant I just take less shots, Say 5 shots and keep re-naming them and stack again and again with those 5 images. Would I then not be introducing less mount error etc, or is this what is done and I have been missing this all along?

Also I am not sure about comments that stacking more and more shots makes up for short exposures? If I have one single 30 sec exposure and keep adding more and more 30sec exposures I just end up with a better quality (dense, more data) 30 second shot. I have not seen that stacking keeps building on the detail gained by longer exposures. Am I missing somthing here in the settings?

I have been getting some nice shots that I am happy with. No hubble shots, but as good as many I have seen on the net, and not as good also. But I just stoped last night and relised I was doing all this stuff and it was working. But then I thought I had made an involentary sound like a sheep! then the light bulb came on and hence came this Post...

Ready to be taken to the next level.

Seeing Stars
Mardy