View Single Post
Old 20-10-2020, 11:31 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
For Astrophotography I’ve used 6” and 8” newts write from the start , still use them after nearly 4 years
Also used a 10” dob at the start for visual and now have a 12” Goto dob for visual
An 8” f5 Bintel newt on an EQ6-R mount is what I use for imaging at my dark site on the south coast NSW and in Sydney I use a 6” f6 Bintel newt on an EQ6-R mount
Got nothing against refractors expect they are costly , require more accessories, flattened , f reducers and the like and restricted a little by aperture and focal length. My 8” f5 newt cost me $455.00 2 years ago , the 6” f6 cost me $299 just over 3 years ago . A good triplet APO refractor at 80 to 100 is going to set you back +$2000 then add the accessories
Both newts are easy to collimate , clean and lifting is no issue ( I’m 60 yrs old , only 65kg wringing wet )
Now if you go for a newt and choose an f4 as a beginner then it’s going to be more difficult to use and collimate etc.. I wouldn’t recommend an f4 newt as a beginner, f5 is the sweet spot for me now and in the future
My recommendation is a newt only because I’ve used them successfully over the last 3 years or so

Good luck with your choice
PS: check out some of my images in the beginners Astrophotography section over the past couple of months
Forgot to mention I do both Planetary and Deep Sky imaging with both newts
Cheers