View Single Post
Old 24-01-2021, 05:00 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
If it was so special i can't understand why it would not have been a priority to purchase one ?
A fair question. One that I have pondered since the moment I used it.

Its currently $1100 AU + delivery from Opt. Pretty expensive for an eyepiece I would only use maybe 10% of my observing time if that? Also, it was always a very expensive eyepiece.

It weighs 1.25 KG. With the coma corrector its about 2Kg hanging off the focuser and sticks out like a foot from the side of my dob. Of course you don't need to use the coma corrector, buuut it matches it perfectly for a pinpoint flat field from edge to edge.

I already have the ES 20mm 100 and the 30mm 82. Which sort of puts it in this awkward position is the focal range. Maybe I could sell the 20 and 30 and get the 25 instead. But... I reckon Id miss that 30. It has sentimental value. The first decent eyepiece I ever owned. After looking through a 31Nagler. I really wanted it but at the time couldn't afford it. That ES30 is a cracker of an eyepiece and a couple who have looked through it have bought their own.

There's also that psychosomatic thing where -maybe its not as good as I thought it was and kind if like the saying "never meet your heroes".

But, I normally talk myself out of it by thinking, "hey for the price of that eyepiece you can buy a Fender Telecaster to go with your Stratocaster. You can use that Telecaster day or night, clear sky or cloudy.".