View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 08:38 PM
Fox

Hi Ken and Marc

Thanks you for your replies and help, I really appreciate your time and comments. I'm not total Pc newbie, its just that i prefer the Apple Mac having used them since the mid'80's.

Upon your recommendation, I will definitely try FireCapture v2.7, what have I got to lose now?

In my most recent indoor testing I was using FullScreen and the "Moon" setting and just videocaming the daytime still room and my iPad showing a Stopwatch timer. FPS was around the 60-70 FPS, and only a total of ~10 seconds was recorded using a time limit of 60 seconds. On the iPad, the timer shows that the time index might start like 20 sec, jump to multiple successive time points and grabbing a few seconds each time - basically its a mess !

The same was happening under real use on Jupiter and Mars where I zoned in on the ROI, also also the moon as well. There's no pattern, sometimes it grabs 'most' of the video, sometimes only 10-20% of it.

There are no 'random lines' or partial framing, its like a bad choppy/edited video.

I thought of just moving over to Sharpcap, but it bugs me oi there is lingering software bug that might crop up in other ways down the road, ie. maybe is just best to bite the bullet and wipe/clean and fresh-start the whole thing.

What is ASI Studio - I saw it in the ZWO options list...?

Marc, finally, wrt to a process hogging the PC, that would be a definite no, I only use the laptop for AP acquisition and subsequent processing, nothing else at all. Invariably I only have FireCapture running when I am video-AP recording, exactly the same way when it was all working fine before.

What I did notice is that the boot up just prior to all this happening, I distinctly got the impression that Windows 10 was auto-updating something for at least 5 mins before I was able to get to the login screen.

Admittedly, I realise that my HP laptop is like a 'Celeron' chip, so it's bottom of the barrel, but hey - its did the job beautifully and fine uo to now, just a bit slow on the uptake at times.

I see there are many videos on Youtube on how to 'reset/reinstall' Windows 10 without the need for a USB stick and of CD drive - are these methods OK to try?

thx
Fox