View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 07:30 AM
Malcolm

Collimation questions.

I have an Orion Deluxe II Laser. After I've done the procedure, with everything lined up perfectly the stars have tails, and separates to a double image when in-out focus rack.

So as my Cheshire got broken when some clown picked up my eyepiece case to move it when it was still open and everything spilled out the cross-hairs broke I made a collimation cap. I put in a sheet of white paper and I could see that the primary wasn't concentric around the secondary and only three clips visible out of the six.
So I figured that the secondary was possibly too far in as I could only see the clips on the focus tube side of the view. Undid the hex screws and gave the centre screw a couple of turns and now the view is concentric with all the clips visible.

Fit the laser and the beam is off centre, so I adjust the beam with the hex screws, all good. Put the collimation cap back on and the the view is no longer concentric and I'm back to seeing only three clips! I can see that the primary mirror donut is obscured by the reflection of the collimation cap perfectly, but the laser tells me the primary is fractionally off so that got a minor tweak to put the return beam on target.

The cap still shows black dead centre of the donut but the primary is not concentric in the view, I can clearly see three clips, and the remaining three are just there with the focus tube racked all the way in. The primary is definitely not in the centre of the view. The secondary shows as concentric through the cap.
What exactly is going on? I can't test this again until tonight, but I suspect it will be off.

I took a pic through the cap as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1917.jpg)
53.6 KB65 views