View Single Post
Old 24-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Poita (Peter)

Has anyone got any shots taken with mono vs OSC with the same total exposure and the same sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
But then I'm thinking I have to take image for twice as long with colour camera to get same sensitivity as mono camera with filter.

But for mono I have to take 4 images L, R, G, B. So if I take 1hr per filter I have to image for 4 hours with mono, or 2 hours with colour camera to get equivalent image.

So colour camera is really twice as sensitive for same target. Plus save lot of processing time.

Also colour data on OSC camera comes from exact same time period and sky position and seeing conditions, so data should be more accurate and less detail lose to aligning images taken at different times.

Is my thinking correct?
No that isn't correct. Mono chips are typically nearly twice as sensitive to light as colour is. So the statement 2 hours to get an equivalent image is not correct. It will be in no way equivalent. The mono image will be way less noise, stronger signal, richer and deeper colours and more detail.

You can get great results with one shot colour CCDs. But they require more exposure for the not quite the same result. Typically the problem with one shot colour is noise in the dim areas.

Greg.[/QUOTE]