View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 01:59 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
How are scientists represented and in which medium?

My issue with the general population of scientists is their abandonment of fundamental research and risk taking whilst embracing the short term corporate demands for trivial efficiency gains and profit margins.

The bulk of the world's scientists have essentially become corporate puppets straight-jacketed to deranged corporate demands. There are exceptions, but usually these rogue scientists are hidden in Academia or even within the large corporate Goliathical structures.

Considering that there are over 18 million scientists and engineers in the USA alone, and that China has a conveyor belt of 600,000 scientists & 1 million Engineering graduates every year, the global environment for vibrant and genuine R&D that isnt politically and corporately contaminated is pathetically paltry.

Most Scientists should apologise before accepting their degree at graduation and when accepting their first puppet job

Hi Peter its so nice to have you contribute.

I think my comment re scientists are "represented" probably is a poor choice of words.

It is my impression they get bad press and I failed to point out that I work only with an impression.

Their image comes to us in many ways none of which necessarily represent any form of reality.

Look how the resident scientist is presented on The Simpsons ...not particularly flattering...and although only a cartoon show dripping with satire how must such a presentation subtely work on minds to have folk think scientisits are sort of nutters like the Simpsons character.

There are many movies that present a scientist in a similar way and although fiction I feel many form their views from the Hollywood representation of a scientist.

Another show The Big Bang Theory I feel may peresnt scientists unfairly and unrealistically. I raised that in a post a long time ago but many dont feel the same way as I do on this aspect but I can not see how that show helps the image of a scientist.

They, scientists, are seen as the enemy by many who have religious views it seems to me. Look at the flat rejection by many religious folk of the concept of evolution for example.

Clearly scientists work with facts, observation and well thought out ideas rather than submit to being slaves to a superstitious and unsupported view of the world.

There are those who reject their, scientists, work simply because it fails to fit their view of the world as provided to them in their one religious book.

That in my view is unreasonable and in fact most objectionable.
These folk hold their "book" as authority when clearly all that it contains is merely the writting of someone from uninformed times trying to make sence of what is around them.

I find it strange that their, religious folk, cosmology is picked out of thin air with nothing in support by way of observation...who saw you know who create a damn thing..I doubt if any human was present to observe creation and yet it becomes presented as fact....no one picks up on the small fact no one was there who could write down what happened.

There are those who reject their work because their findings on various matters conflict with a held personal opinion. I think many who reject climate science work that way.

I am guilty here to a degree when I say I dont like the concept of the big bang theory because I can not accept inflation as presented in the theory as one for example.

I speak armed only with a personal impression but in my defence I have the sence to understand that about myself such that I dont take myself too seriously.

My impression is they, scientists, are represented or rather presented in an un necessaryily poor light... I am stuck for more examples but given I speak of an impression I see no need to try to justify or support my impression.

But really there is little need to focus upon my uninformed ramblings.

In truth I dont know really what scientists do or how the game works so anything from me is of no consequence.

Its seems you do not hold scientists in the high regard that I do but I expect each of our opinions will only ever be generalisations based on perhaps very limited experience relative to the vast number of scientists in the world.

I see no need for them to offer any appology when accepting their hard earned degree and find it curious that you think that way. One works hard for a degree firstly and secondly I see no point in holding individuals to account for a perceived problem with the whole group.

Again nice to hear from you and I hope all in your world is wonderful.

alex