View Single Post
Old 20-06-2017, 12:08 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Tromso definitely gets a lot of attention as being a great spot for the aurora but it's super touristy and you would definitely have to leave the town to see anything. I stayed near a town called Kirkenes in Norway near the border with Russia and while we bad bad luck with weather for the few days we were there (apparently it had been clear with aurora for the week before) it would be an awesome spot to view the aurora - super dark. Realistically I think the weather is similar all the way down the coast, or at least around the top. We caught the mail ferry the whole way down the coast and had ~10 hours of perfect aurora viewing every day. (not great for photography though as we were on a ship!)

I went all around Iceland but in summer so I don't know about the weather in winter. However when we were there the weather was really all over the place and much more likely to be cloudy than not. Iceland is also supposed to be very difficult to get around in winter. It's also further south than Norway and only a tiny bit at the top is above the arctic circle.

There is a town in the north of Sweden that's supposed to have good odds at having a clear sky - sorry I can't remember the name.