View Single Post
Old 18-11-2004, 12:20 AM
Late_Cretaceous

The Legs were really very simple to make. I cut a 2x4 into three equal lenghts with a Mitre saw (chop saw) set at a 22.5 degree angle. Each piece is The shape should be a parallelogram. Each piece is 35 cm long and is attached to the groundboard with a pair of lagbolts. I pre-drilled the holes first so the wood would not split. Then I attached the original feet from the scope to the bottom end of the legs. I do intend to paint them at some future date.

In the end it raises everything up by 35 cm in height.

I have found no problem with the legs during observing. I had been concerned that they would get kicked, but it has not happened. I also think this would be helpful if you were to be viewing in a field with tall grass.

I find observing much more comfortable this way, even though it now requires standing rather then sitting on a little stool. Aiming the scope is much much easier now, especially for those objects near the zenith.

As far as moving goes, I carry the OTA outside by itself using the straps and lay it on the styrofoam molds that came with the scope. The straps are a big help considering that the scope is sometimes covered in dew or frost. It also makes it easier to open/close the door and hold the scope at the same time.

As far as the rocker box goes, it is a little more cumbersome to move through doorways now. In order to get it outside from its resting place that you see, I go through 3 doorways. I have to be careful to maneuver the legs around the door jam.

THe only drawback would be if someone did not have room in their vehicle to transport it if they had a small car.

The heads of the lag bolts would require some shimming of the teflon pads. In my case, however, I had already installed thicker teflon pads because I was experiencing some scraping with the original design.

Garry

Last edited by Late_Cretaceous; 18-11-2004 at 01:26 AM.