View Single Post
Old 11-11-2004, 09:41 AM
mch62 (Mark)

Here is another one from me .
It's a 400mm f6.3 Tokina telephoto with universal screw thread mount. I picked this up from Cash converters for $50.00 ---it's like new.
To this I made a an adapter from a pentax screw mount extension tube ---$2 from Cash converters . I toke this down to a local machine shop and they made a 11/4"sleave to fit inside the extension tube.----$25
This alows me to put eyepieces as well as my ToUcam in for wider view images.
I have included a couple of extracted frames from my ToUcam AVI files and this lens . One is at 400mm the other is with a 2 x teleconverter ---$2 from cash converters.
The lens was sitting ontop of a normal photo tripod . These were taken one night at a school astronomy night and the YOOOOO's and ARRRRR's from people seeing the moon realtime on a laptop was rewarding for the $79 spent on this one.
It also makes a great finder scope .
I also have a 135mm--$18 and 50mm $7.50 for even wider deep sky views . The Toucam is roughly equvalent to a 6-7mm eyepiece.
It's amazing some of the good quality camera lenses that cam be picked up cheap.
I did all this before steve moggs made his adapters available as I could not waite ---he had them in development at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (pict0001 copy.jpg)
149.2 KB297 views