View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Jon,
Good write-up, thanks.
I still do the manual, open roof etc.
Just wondering, when the observatory is automated, what about the dust covers on the telescope?? Work without them??
That's one I'm still toying with......I'm very new to this remote thing and working out the issues as I go.
From what I've heard, most remote guys either don't use a dust cap on the lens or they purchase a flip up cover that also has a light source in it to do the flats (can't remember the manufacturers name at the moment). They're about $800 I think.......I'm going to try and automate something using an RC Car steering servo motor (light and good power) to do this, worse case and it doesn't work for me I'll just park the scope with the lens facing straight down to stop dust buildup.

As for an actual dust cover for the whole setup I'm thinking I might attach some light weight material to the actual roof of the Ob's. When it opens it will roll the fabric off the telescope, when it closes it will roll it back on (I've got 9m of roof roll to play with so it should work I think, be harder for smaller roofs without as much 'roll distance'). If the fabric doesn't work I'll buy another USB relay and a very cheap 12 volt light duty winch which will drop a cover down from the roof....obviously being attached to roof it will roll out of sight with it as the roof opens.
I think the key here though is you need to build in a breakaway system so if the cover snags the scope when coming off then the cover tears away from whatever mechanism is in place to move it to save breaking/bending anything on the actual scope/mount!