View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 11:09 AM
m11 (Mel)

Are you saying the object did not change or increase in size?

I would recommend as Allan has mentioned to point at Orion M42 and test your scope and eyepieces on that.

As you use your 15mm and 9mm eyepieces you should see a smaller field of view but more details, especially the Trapezium of at least 4 stars.

See you you go after that.

M11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersonics View Post
Last night I did some basic very observations using my 8" Dobsonian and I am kind of confused and not sure what to do.

Firstly, I couldn't aim at the Moon as it was below the horizon when I did this and hence aimed the finder scope at a clear part of the sky and was able to find a star (sorry, cannot remember its name, but it starts with C as per my Star Walk 2 app). Using the finder scope, I was able to focus it nice and sharp. Later on, started with 30mm eyepiece and was able to get a good focus with this too. However, I did not notice any difference in magnification through the 30mm and thus tried with 15mm and it was the same. In fact, I felt the star looked much better in the finder scope than with either of the eyepieces.

Also tried with 9 mm, it was a bit hard to focus at start, but I ended up getting the telescope back inside by then.

What is it that I'm doing wrong?