View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGC2264 View Post
Hey all. Say hi to another newcomer.

I had my interest in astronomy go through the roof when I visited the Dubbo Observatory and the Griffith Observatory in LA over the past year.

I have joined (or am about to join) the Northern Sydney Astronomical Society and took part in their viewing night a couple of weeks ago which was a blast and met some great young guys who really helped me.

I have a limited budget - probably $1,500 tops and after alot of reading I think I have settled my mind on getting a 10" Dobsonian. One of the lads at the viewing had one of the skywatcher collapsible dobsonians which would suit me better than a solid tube one for portability and storgae reasons.

I had a couple of questions. The first I suppose is: is Skywatcher a reputable brand? Also my kids are interested and I wanted to get a laser pointer so that I can point stuff out in the sky for them. York Optical sell the 10mW for $200 and the 20mW for $135...to me that doesn't make sense - why is the 20mW cheaper? Will I have problems with a 20mW if I went with it being cheaper? I live in the city but will also be going out to the country for viewing.

In terms of eye pieces, I was advised to get like a 25mm, a 15mm and a 10mm. I was thinking of getting some decent eye pieces but not the $400/piece brands. What are worhtwhile brands at the $100-$200 mark?

Any other worthwhile tidbits of info someone feels I should know please feel free to advise - I am all ears.
Hi and to IIS Gordon, Its good to hear you joined an Astronomical society you will get plenty of great help and good instruction with insight to push your hobby further.
10' Dob is a great starter scope as for the skywatcher i would say there got to be O.K.
My 10' is a Meade lightbridge and i am very happy with it until i got aperture fever and had to go bigger 16'.

Not sure about the laser prices so i cant help you with that question.

The eyepieces my three choices are 7mm , 14 mm , 30mm but thats me others will differ, But change your 25 to a 30.

The really good EPs come later on after you get a handle on using your scope and exploring the night sky then you can revisit them again with decent EP,s.

Its good to hear the family wants to get involved with astronomy.
Get a set of star maps and a planisphere to help you around the sky.
Do you live in the Dubbo area ?

Cheers For now Kev.