View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

found the info below on a related camera. looks like you have to have a firmware file on your PC to replace the firmware that the DFU software has erased from the camera. You will have to get it from Orion I guess - if they provided you with software that could wipe your camera, the very least they can do is provide you with software to restore it.

Hope it works out OK.

If you get one of these, whatever you do, do *NOT* try to update the firmware through the update firmware menu option in Orion Camera Studio. If you do, it will tell you it needs to put the camera in 'programming mode'- after which your computer will stop recognizing it as a camera and decide it is: 'AT32UC3B,' a 'LibUSB-Win32 Device.' Camera Studio itself doesn't recognize the camera after that point. If you try to go back to the firmware updater it will say that it can't find the camera and that the camera may already be in programming mode. The only thing you can do in the updater is browse your computer looking for an 'elf' file (which I assume is the file type for the firmware) - it does not check online for a new version. As there currently isn't one on Orion's webpage for manual download, you are stuck at this point and pretty much screwed. There isn't any way out of programming mode - at least I haven't found a way out yet. So, right now my camera is an expensive paperweight unless tech support can come up with a solution. I'll update this again if they come through with the fix. All in all, still unsatisfied with the sorry software that came with this otherwise capable entry level camera.

Update:
About a week later the tech support guys emailed me a copy of the latest firmware. Mine originally had ver. 1.01. The version they sent is 1.07. According to tech support, going into programming mode wipes the firmware from the camera. Why they don't have it posted on their webpage for download is a mystery.

Last edited by Shiraz; 06-11-2012 at 07:24 PM.