View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 08:50 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

welcome captain,

yes to planets being very nice, check out iceman's planet images, they are brilliant, you won't be able to do this straight out of the box, but with some barlows for magnifying and some sort of tracking when you want to produce exactly what iceman has, you can do it too. Yes the views of planets are great!

Barlows and tracking are not necessary t have a go however, i have included a link to my jupiter pic without tracking and without a barlow, using a webcam which is equivalent to say a 5mm eyepiece. http://www.precons.com/iis/gallery/I...ter-wavele.jpg
and my orion nebula pic without tracking, using the 40mm eyepiece, without a barlow

deluxe version is a must i believe, crayford focusser is much much better, not sure on the bk7 mirror as i do not have anything to compare with, not sure if a fan is coming with the 10".

I was in the same dilemna in june this year, bintel or andrews. I could understand the extra for bintel due to them collimating (aligning the mirror) and making sure things were spot on, BUT freight to Tassie was $200 for bintel, Andrews $75. I therefore went Andrews. In your case, go and visit both as there is no freight and my guess is that bintels will win you over. Bintel are experts, Andrews aren't. Both are great guys, but as one member recently found out that if there is problem with a scope (it is not very common mind you), that a bit of pre delivery care and inspection is worth the extra money from bintel.

The free bits are much the same. I got 4 free series 500 eyepieces (40mm, 25mm, 12.5mm, 6.5mm) from andrews, moon filter and binoculars. I believe bintel offer a eyepiece case which i have seen and like very much.

The series 500 eyepieces work and provide a decent enough view. They are not crap, but they are the bottom of the food chain. I would strongly recommend spending a little extra from bintel (if you go that way) and get two maybe three eyepiece only.

Say 30mm and 10mm, (others may vary this), but down the track you can buy a barlow that will magnify these eyepieces. ie if you get a 2x barlow, the 30mm becomes a 15mm, the 10mm becomes a 5mm. The 10mm will give very nice
views of the planets.

For my eyepieces, i hardly use the 6.5mm, the 12.5mm is great on jupiter, and the 25mm and 40mm are great for the nebulas and clusters.

If i had my time again, i would forgo the 4 free series eyepieces and spend a little extra on say two good eyepieces and a barlow.

Food for thought. Great guys here for info and are they are only too eager to help u!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (m42-30x_20050908_003_filtered.jpg)
42.1 KB271 views

Last edited by davidpretorius; 10-09-2005 at 09:06 AM.