View Single Post
Old 19-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Alan ( and everyone else for the feedback - most appreciated )

Understand the weight issue with a 12" Goto and also only a slight improvement on the views and yes I would consider purchasing it mainly for the Goto and tracking

How far did you have to move your 12' Goto from storage location to observing location ?

Mine would sit in the garage and then be moved to the observing location 5 or 6 metres from the garage roller door on good smooth concrete driveway

If I made a purpose built flat bed trolley with adjustable feet for leveling at the front do you think one could manage this scope in my situation ?

I had my 10" out 2 weeks ago at 4.30am and had Jupiter at 416 x mag with a 6mm Delos eye piece and a 2 x 2' Barlow just for the heck of it

The views of Jupiter and its moons were not to bad considering the ridiculous magnification ( I have a good semi dark site down the south coast at my holiday house, however I was nudging the scope every 10 seconds which in itself was also ridiculous
If I had the 12" Goto the views would have been much better with just my 4.5mm Delos eye piece at 330 x mag ( no Barlow ) and Jupiter would be in the FOV for at least 5 to 10 minutes

That's one of the reasons I would consider the upgrade from the manual 10" to the 12" Goto

Welcome any comments

Thanks