View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 05:22 PM
Bombardon (Eugene)

Deep sky south with small optics

Knightrider, Steve, Joe and all,
Might be good to include some easy well-known clusters in the far south that are nicely placed at the moment - most in Carina. I find they are best viewed with small optics and mags of 10 -25. ( In fact K-rider's 10X50 are ideal.)
IC2391, a delicate bright cluster near Delta Vel in False Cross, NGC2516 near Eps Car in False Cross,a striking fig-shaped group with several orange stars embedded; NGC 3114 large cluster like a small paper boat near Ups Car;IC 2602, the Southern Pleiades, brilliant little group; NGC 3293 just east of Eta Car and a rich knot of stars - lost in Eta's splash; NGC 3532, wide, dense cluster, like a glowing Xmas tree with a deep yellow star nearby. Tons of great deep sky treats here and even the Blue Planetary near Southern Cross is worth revisiting. I find on a really clear summer night after rain that the cheapest optics in the smallest scopes can make a great half hour outdoors without the hassle of setting up! You see I get both lazy and crafty in my old age. Nice report, Knightrider. Regards,
Eugene