View Single Post
Old 21-10-2011, 02:47 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolinmod View Post
This is not new technology.
No one claimed that. It is the first commercial/consumer application though which is pretty exciting!
Quote:
It's not going to help you with any of those things. Your subjects are not in the near field, they are always at the exact same focus location so far as this camera would be concerned: at infinity.
Sorry, but I would have to disagree here.

• Focus problems: attaining perfect focus is not a given. You will only have to take a look in the beginners section (and now and then in the Deep Space section) to see examples. It doesn't matter whether your subject is at infinity or not for this to be a very useful feature.
  • Some aberrations may be corrected after the fact because they stem from uneven focus problems, whether they be across different wavelengths (ex. chromatic aberrations) or across the image (ex. spherical aberrations)
  • I can see potential interesting benefits to stacking or otherwise analysing/correlating multiple frames of recorded directional information in addition to the usual intensity and color information for planetary (short exposure) photography. As we're all painfully aware of, wavefront perturbations introduced by the atmosphere ('seeing') change the direction of light rays (causing a blur in long exposures). These ray directions can now be recorded and, unless I'm mistaken, may be of help when trying to model (or measure) atmospheric turbulence by correlating color and intensity to direction. But then again, I may be mistaken. EDIT: Cool! Seems I'm not a completely full of it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenopt...ra#cite_note-8

Last edited by irwjager; 21-10-2011 at 04:19 PM.