View Single Post
Old 30-01-2012, 11:10 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

I have the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 VRII lenses. Both are brilliant. I have produced some amazing shots of my kids with both lenses. The 70-200 is sharp to the corners of a full frame (the previous model was slightly soft) and its focus is very quick.

I'm hoping to add the 14-24 f2.8 in the near future. It's the lens that Canon photographers will use via an adapter - that say something about it's performance. It's one drawback is the sheer size of the front element, meaning you can't use filters (althought I did see an adapter bracket recently on nikonrumors.com that takes 145mm filters!!!!!!!!!). Nonetheless, you can't really use a polarizer on a such a wide angle lens - the effect on the sky will be non uniform across the image.

D800 is slated for release on 7th Feb - I'm already on a waiting list with a dealer in Brisbane.

As for Canon lenses, I can only comment on the 85mm f1.2. It is unbelievable. The depth of field is nuts - tip of nose will be blurry while eyelashes will be sharp. However it's focus is extremely slow.

DT