View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 05:03 PM
gregbradley

I have no specific knowledge of those scopes but general principles.

Fast Newtonian scopes are tricky to collimate, require a light imaging paylod otherwise you will most likely get plagued with twists and flexes that may be hard to track down.

They will als require a corrector otherwise the coma is severe even with a smaller camera like a DSLR. The Baader MPCC is a common corrector used with good results.

I used a cheap Antares laser collimator to collimate a Vixen R200SS 8 inch F4 Newt I had once. That solved the tricky collimation.

The pluses of Newts are they are very sharp for their price as the mirrors are the easiest of all designs to manufacture accurately.

They tend to be very widefield and very sharp. A 10 inch Newt has a lot of potential. I'd say though you will need to upgrade the focuser to a Moonlite or a Feathertouch and get the MPCC and attach your camera with a T-thread adapter rather than an eyepiece holder plus get a cheap laser collimator and it would be a nice machine.

As a general rule in optics fast F ratios are harder to manufacture and keep stable. They generally come at a high price.

Greg.