View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 10:38 AM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
Sometimes it will guide. But only sometimes.
I thought the problems was in the hand controller, as others have had that trouble. But it's been fixed now.

I hate being this isolated from the astro community.

ok mate, lets break it down.

things it can be :-

RA guiding turned off in PHD, i have seen this turned off by mistake, and guiding wont happen, although usually this means no guiding at all, and yours like mine used to, guides, then sometimes slips, is this right? this would indicate that this option is enabled

Polar Alignment - Sometimes when the alignment is a bit out, then PHD cant move the mount enough or compensate, and it slips, but i guess you have drift aligned your mount

Mechanical fault - Can you spin the mount around on its RA axis? are there any parts of the rotation that feel sticky, and parts that feel smooth? although your mount is new, so thats unlikely

Software - I know there was a problem with earlier versions of PHD, i had to upgrade mine, to change a DLL in the package, what version are you using?

Balance - Is your 200mm scope just too much for the mount? the instance of slippage i have seen, happen less with smaller OTA's as far as i have seen.

Cableing - Do you have any other cables you can try? i am lead to believe that the guide cable is prone to electrical noise.

its all good mate, i am sure everyone will work through this together, and get it happening for you.

EDIT : What version of the firmware do you have on the controller?