View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 03:56 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Peter,

you can certainly guide eq5/eq6 using ascom but I believe you must use ascom driver for EQMOD. EQMOD software supports Pulse Guiding and thus it will send guiding commands without using ST-4 port.

I'm not sure if you can use EQMOD through a hand controller and PC Direct Mode but if it's possible I cannot see any problems why autoguiding through ASCOM EQMOD driver in this case won't work.

Anyway I can confirm that if you remove a hand controller and use EQDIR interface attached directly to a mount everything including guiding works fine. I am using this method with PHD for the last four times I went outside with my setup and I have nothing to complain about.

It may sound strange that I am using this method considering that I have QHY5 with ST-4 port but for people who has guide cameras without ST-4 port it can be a better option. It eliminates extra cable run from their PC to an autoguide port. Actually that was the main reason why I stopped using ST-4 port on both mount and guiding camera.

cheers,

Mike

Last edited by ozstockman; 10-06-2008 at 04:59 PM.