View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 06:00 AM
RussellH

Telescope balancing questions

So looks like my software and cabling all seems to work although I haven’t hooked up my DSLR yet). I’m almost ready to finally go start taking photos with my new telescope.

Question on balancing. I can get the axes balanced when the scope is horizontal no problem, but when vertical (i.e. pointing at SCP), with all the lopsided weight hanging off the focusser, there is a tendancy for it to swing about 15-30 degrees eastward before coming to rest. No trouble stopping at any spot going westward until it’s at a similar position pointing down.

So the youtube videos I’ve watched on balancing, which say you can put the scope in any position and have it stay there, do not show this with a small scope with significant off-centre accessories. I assume this is why I am seeing this movement. The off-centre weight which is a significant fraction of the scope weight (maybe 10%) is moving the centre of gravity out of alignment with the mount in the vertical positions. Does that sound about right?

I have the tube turned to the eyepiece position is at a comfortable vieiwing angle when checking SCP. I could turn the tube so that the eyepiece position is over the top of the mount in this position, thereby remove some of the off-centre weighting, which may help, but would make visual harder for polar alignment.

Is this something to be concerned about? Should I turn the tube to balance better vertically, or is this small difference within tolerance of “balanced”?

Thanks. Russell.