View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Paul Haese

An update on this issue.

My assessment is that this camera is defective. I have been in contact with SBIG and its representative here for quite some time. To date we have been trying to narrow down the cause of the problem but now I am at an end of bug hunting a camera that ought to work straight out of the box. I requested that the camera be replaced several weeks ago and SBIG have not done so yet. I was asked to conduct further tests which I have gone along with so as to find a cause, but as yet we cannot. Alan Holmes from SBIG thinks it might be sky light making its way into the camera from adjoining filters. That means the camera has a problem in my mind.

As you can see the camera has what is called a wave bar on the left hand side of the image. It moves erratically about on that side of the sensor and cannot be calibrated and as you can see it ruins perfectly good data.

I have included two darks showing what happens. One single sub and a stacked image. As you can see the destruction to the data is terrible.

I am totally disillusioned with this camera and really wish that QSI had its 700 series up and running. I would have bought that right from the start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dark -30C 30 minutes-001D scaled.jpg)
137.5 KB70 views
Click for full-size image (Dark -30C 30 minutes-028D scaled.jpg)
131.9 KB71 views
Click for full-size image (NGC7293 Ha 1800.00390 scaled.jpg)
65.9 KB75 views
Click for full-size image (Sum NGC7293 780 Ha scaled.jpg)
30.1 KB77 views