View Single Post
Old 15-10-2019, 10:56 PM
HeavyT

Does stacking different shutter speeds impair noise reduction?

Hi folks

I have been working on a nebula image. Having stacked about 5hrs worth of 150 and 300 second subs (ISO 640 and 320 respectively) with my unmodded dslr, I thought I'd achieved a masterstroke last night by acquiring a further 2hrs of 600 second subs at ISO 160. Certainly more faint nebulosity looked to be poking through the gradient in the subs, I thought it was going to get close to finishing my image.

Unfortunately after the initial process of the stack (previous stack Plus twelve at 600s), there's so much noise it might has well have been a stack of 30 minutes!

Does Deep Sky Stacker need me to add say 40 more at 600s in order to remove the noise?

Only other thing I can think I did wrong is setting one of the 600s frames as the reference frame in DSS... restocking at the moment using one of the tried and true 150s subs as a reference.

Apologies if this is a daft question, it's just that I've stacked varying exposure times before without this happening. Maybe 10 minutes just heats my sensor up too much, even though it was Low ISO and a cool night?

Any advice will be well received.

Thanks and clear skies all.