Thread: [NOT REQUIRED] Rings...............
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 11:11 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Buy 6.5 and add one extra layer of felt. Easy peasy lemon squeezy
hmmmm, that's a reasonable course of action ...may just go that way...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Buy 6.5 and add packing. Beware though that Parallax rings are also cast, very thick, very ugly and quite heavy - try to find some that are milled out of plate instead.

A good alternative to felt is balsawood - head to Bunnings. At a guess you'll probably need a sheet of 1.5mm balsa, but many other thicknesses are available, and its easily laminated (eg 2 x 1.0 mm to make 2.0mm). Cut into strips perpendicular to the grain (so they bend easily) and glue these in place with some glue. Use rubber bands to hold them in place for a day or so while the glue bonds properly. Its also easily sanded or sliced with a craft knife so if the rings are a tad tight, remove some of the balsa.

I have used this before in rings, and it is firm so it won't crush, yet soft it won't scratch the paint, and like felt you can easily slide the OTA to adjust balance.

If the rings have felt, leave it in place and again head to Bunnings, you'll need a large store not the small suburban ones. Look for a pack of velcro electrical cable ties - these are typically a flatpack of 6 multicoloured narrow strips maybe 150 long. The point is these are quite narrow, about 1-2mm thick, have one side that will grip felt, and the other side is the usual soft velcro. Black velcro double-sided tape would also do, but it's wide so you'll probably want to cut it to size - which is not easy.

I also have some 1.5mm cork strips left over from a model railway but cork tends to be quite "grippy".
I do like the ' wood ' style of ring setup .... seen a few on CN...Classy Looks. Thanks for the idea on this solution ...will consider this also.

Col...