View Single Post
Old 19-03-2014, 06:42 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Ive been running through this upcoming eclipse & personal experience tells me it is Not very favourable conditions !

Let me explain : Going through photos and Planetary software, the last total lunar eclipse I captured was back in June 16th 2011 - moon setting in the west as sun rose in east, the moon had eclipsed about an hour & 15mins before sunrise when the sky was rather dark'ish and I captured some nice shots with the ED80 of the Red Moon - but as twilight began, I actually lost sight of the moon about 20mins before sunrise and was flatout bringing up the moon in photoshop with a 3second exposure during twilight, any longer and the sky would blow-out !

See Attached Photos, 1st with ED80 with moon at approx 25deg Alt, 8secs tracking.
2nd taken @ 80mm lens F5 iso400 at approx 10deg alt and fading fast as twilight strengthens ?

This coming eclipse has the moon rising 5:30pm (East) in totality as the sun sets (5:30pm)- so, a very bright sky indeed ?
It is not untill approx 6:10pm that totality finishes, by then the moon is still only aprrox 13degs altitude and a waning twilight sky. Guestimate - just dark enough to capture slightly ? as similar in 2nd attached pic, maybe a smidge betterra ? So, 10 - 15 minute window whilst about 10deg alt or smidge higher.

Anywhich way, I truely doubt seeing much If Any, when eclipsed moon is rising at see level ? ?

Just my thoughts, so, if the weather is clear, Im thinking of captureing a wide angle composite shot closer to the coast with some Highrise Gold Coast building/s in the foreground, when moon at 10deg alt or somewhere abouts, say, the Q1 building or the Soel Building, maybe reflection on the Nerang River, hopefully with the end of Totality and through the Partial & Penumbral stages ? ?

I Guess, see how it pans out when the time comes
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (W3.jpg)
36.3 KB91 views
Click for full-size image (W5.jpg)
63.8 KB84 views