View Single Post
Old 18-03-2014, 08:13 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
The reconnaissance was needed just to verify where the moon will rise and the lookout looks good, still a few coal ships on the horizon. The hard part will be getting a correctly exposed pic. But I really love these one of events, you have to addlib but sometimes you get lucky.

Cheers Rick
Rick,
I still don't think there is much value in this approach.

Azimuth at rise
During the equinox, the change in rising azimuth between March and April Full Moon is biggest. Full Moon rises some 17 degrees further south on April 15 than it did on March 16. The moon rises at a much more similar azimuth of 101.5 degrees tomorrow night (Wednesday 19th @ 19:54 in Mackay). On April 15 it rises at 100.5 degrees azimuth at 17:47 but it's highly unlikely to be visible as it rises. Remember, the sun will be setting as the moon rises, the moon will be in totality and extincted by atmosphere. Depending on the brightness of the eclipse, I'd expect the totally eclipsed moon to be visible as a bright coppery colour in a deep blue twilight sky towards the end of totality.

Times and azimuths quoted above are for Mackay.

For observers in the south east of the country, these figures are for Canberra:

............................Moon rise time(DST).................Azimuth
Tuesday 18, March............20:00............. ..................98.5
Wednesday 19, March.......20:36.................. ............103.3

The Moon's rise position during the eclipse is exactly halfway between tonight and tomorrow night's azimuth.

Getting exposure correct

During twilight, you can just expose using the camera's metering with some bracketing. The sky brightness will exceed or be similar to the eclipse brightness. I did this when comet McNaught appeared bright in the sky during twilight in 2007. Towards the end of totality and twilight, transfer to manual exposure control.

cheers

Joe

Last edited by OzEclipse; 18-03-2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: fixing format of rise table