View Single Post
Old 31-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Hemlock

A legal, reputable source for laser pointers in Australia

Can I offer a huge thanks to forum-poster Steve for helpfully pointing me in the direction of a legal and reputable source for laser pointers in Australia.

For other people in my position who might require such an instrument for teaching purposes, At the time of writing, they are available from a South Australian firm, "Telescopes and Astronomy". Here is their web site;

http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com....contacts.html#

They are not cheap, but you have the assurance of buying an Australian made product that is properly rated in terms of its engineering and power output. This is a far better option than some of the highly dubious laser products available on e-bay, and in any case regardless of your State legislation, it is illegal under federal law to import these devices at the kind of power output you would need for astronomical purposes. A reminder to potential buyers of laser pointers to check your State legislation in regard to these devices to be sure that you are operating within the law. Needless to say, like any technology that could be hazardous if misused - such as 3D printers, knives, cold and flu tablets, fertiliser and automobiles - they should be handled with the utmost respect for safety at all times.

Sil, your reply to my original post was unnecessarily aggressive and uncivil, and I have reported your comment to the site moderators.