View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 10:45 PM
Hodur (David)

Forever a Newbie

My level of incompetence at all things Astro is breathtaking. Some excellent gear lives in my garage a 5” triplet on a CGEM DX Mount, in most hands a killer combo.
In my defence the scope is used, atm it’s used quite a bit with Saturn and Jupiter being as bold as they are it’s awesome viewing, which brings me to the reason for the post.
The frequency of. “Astroing” went through the roof when I stopped being precise, when a good point towards south became sufficient. The more casual approach I’ve adopted necessitates dropping the mount out of gear and manually slewing. Not only is manual slewing quiet it’s also very fast.
If the complexity of “Astroing “ is preventing you from using your expensive gear (cheap gears expensive if you don’t use it) take your scope out with a star guide and a few lenses, you’ll be surprised how much fun, yes fun, you’ll have.
It’s easy to get way over complex, I know I’ll never be even a average astrophotographer so why bother? Doesn’t it just make more sense to enjoy your gear, your time and the night sky?
Ps your knowledge of the night sky improves dramatically with this back to basic s approach