Thread: DSS problem
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 11:20 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Hi Raymo
I too was forced into becoming a computer tech years ago when I started my recording studio and went digital.
I had to learn windows back to front and beat my pc into submision so it could store 24 audio files at once and be able to recall them during playback.
You can probably still hear my cursing echoing around the world years later as really good projects were lost into the ones and noughts of the digital abyss never to come back.
Sorry about assuming that you know what a Virtual Machine is
Heres a simply explanation

"What Is a Virtual Machine?
A virtual machine is a software computer that, like a physical computer, runs an operating system and applications. The virtual machine is comprised of a set of specification and configuration files and is backed by the physical resources of a host. Every virtual machine has virtual devices that provide the same functionality as physical hardware and have additional benefits in terms of portability, manageability, and security".

Its a bit of a complicated setup but its always worked for me.
You think you should be able to buy a new laptop and install programs you paid for and there should be no issues rather than having constant problems like you are having.
I had similar problems like you have and its always comes back to security and network issues and windows trying to fix whats actually not broken in the background.

I'm going to be setting up my studio at my new house and the first thing is a dedicated pc with a fresh install of xp (barebones version) and this pc does not connect to the Internet!
I know I'm living in the dark ages but why fix something thats not broke.

I use DSS at the moment on a 15 year old xp laptop with no issues other than a bit slow due to the old cpu.

I hope you get this annoying problem fixed which is wrong really for a new machine.
Good luck
Andy