View Single Post
Old 18-06-2019, 02:20 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

I agree with all that's already been stated in answer to your question...

My first serious scope was an 80mm refractor; admittedly a Meade Triplet but, still only an 80mm refractor.

The views were stunning.. I sold it when I bought my 8" SCT... I just bought another Meade 80mm APO Refractor... because I missed it so much.. regretted selling the old one about a week after it was gone...

I'm sending my sister a little Orion 80mm Short Tube refractor; I've used it myself, it's great, it's light & it's simple... If I thought it was rubbish & of no use, I wouldn't send it to my worst enemy...

From a dark site, every Messier object (with the exception of those visible in the Northern Hemisphere) are accessible; lots & lots of things are accessible. From your backyard (depending where you live), the moon, many planets, bright nebula & globular clusters should all be visible...

My love affair with Saturn began because of a stunning view through my little 80mm f6 (FL480mm) refractor..... so, faster than yours; with a 6mm EP I could clearly see the Cassini division... small image.. sure but, clear & sharp as...

Don't diss your scope bud... you'll be utterly amazed at the views you'll get.. bigger is not always better & the best scope there is, is the one you will use...

Enjoy this fantastic hobby... & checkout Alex's (mental4astro) observing guides in the beginner section.. they are invaluable...

Cheers