View Single Post
Old 14-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Hi Jason, I am currently going through the transition stage from tripod / to astropark (a series or piers/plinths in a dedicated garden for various scopes)/ to a full observatory. Lots of experimentation, and your 4 posts intermittently welded and then filled will be a fantastic change for you, (if this is for your Borgs) Vibration will diminish significantly to what you are accustomed to.

Might I suggest that a major factor for these is the actual plinth the pier is to be mounted into/onto. Size really does matter when it comes to this, and an extra hour or two of digging will produce substantially significant results, and allow you much more confidence in your project. Depending on your soil type will determine your plinth size. Always try to "elephant's foot" the base of your plinth in the ground. Ensure you have sufficient isolation "gap" between deck and pier when observing, and a good packing piece when finished observing to prevent vermin/insects getting into your ob. When setting your plinth, you must decide to set the posts actually in the concrete when you pour the plinth, or provide a "flange" held into the plinth with fasteners. I use a 6" pipe flange held in with threaded rods, this allows me to alter the configuration or upgrade relatively inexpensively with off the shelf industrial items, however there are also many chemset systems also available.