View Single Post
Old 18-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

There is likely to be a similar way of doing it in PS as to what I do in PI. My workflow is basically to create a good star mask, masking pretty much every star in the image. Pretty much any of the manipulation I do on the RGB side has a star mask to as to protect them for later on.

As I have not yet taken actual RGB data purely for NB data, I've only created synthetic RGB from the NB, star sizes will be different. I just invert the star mask so as to protect everything other than the stars and then drop in the RGB stars into the NB image.

Sometimes I find myself needing a copy of the image just before replacing the stars. After ever time I add the RGB stars I'll invert the mask and apply it to the rest of the image. As they're both identical (in the background, not the stars) it helps protect the star edges where the star masks fall off from the star and onto the background. This is mostly because the synthetic RGB stars have a substantially different nebulosity colour. Sometimes takes a couple back and forth but I have found that is the easiest way with my workflow.