View Single Post
Old 25-07-2010, 04:14 PM
CAAD9 (Adam)

I picked a 550D with the bog stock kit lenses (18-55IS & 55-250IS). HAd it now for 2 weeks. Previous camera was a kodak point and shoot. So very new to the game.

My photo needs are: travel pics - which means people, landscapes, sports photography (we'll be seeing the Ironman in Oct), and a bit of astro-photos (I love the power of longer exposure to bring out colours and details the human eye can not see).

Am I happy? - Camera body - yes, it is amazing compared to anything I have ever used before. It has so many features and allows me to do things I never did before. I have lots to learn.

Lenses? I'm not so sure. The body is so capable I'm disappointed with the distortions of the lens at the edges of the photos. Also I am not happy that I have to change lenses so much. Am I being silly here?

I bought the camera because the wife wanted us to have something better for when we go to Hawaii. In that siple task we have success, the photos will undoutedly be better than what we could with the old point and click.

BUT, I am seriously thinking about the EF-S 15-85 USM. Does anyone know this lens and what do you think about it? Is it worth the $900?

I will get the 50mm f/1.8, at $120 or so seems like a simple enough decision for such a fast lens. I intend that to be my main astro-photography lens. Feel free to disuade me if you think otherwise.

All views are welcome. thanks

Adam