View Single Post
Old 24-07-2010, 11:18 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I'm with Troy, I upgraded to the 5DII shortly after it was released. Before that I had a 20D and 50D.

I found the resolution improvement on the 50D to be minimal over that of the 20D. The 5DII was a noticeable improvement over the 20/50D.

My lenses are mostly L series, not as good as I would like for the money I had to pay, but as good as money can buy.

I have
24-105 F4L
70-200 F4L
100mm F2.8 Macro (Not the L series)
15mm fisheye.

Of the lenses the fish is my favourite, It's tack sharp, with beautiful contrast and colour.
The 70-200 next. I didn't go for the 70-200 F2.8 because IMO the extra stop isn't worth the extra weight and cost, as Troy says low light isn't usually an issue.
The 24-105 is a good lens but suffers a bit from CA, although it's easily corrected with Canons DPP software.

I'm seriously contemplating the Nikon 14-24 F2.8 using an adapter. At this stage Canon has no answer to the Nikon zoom and it's sharper wide open than Canon's 14mm prime at 2/3 of the cost. With an adapter on a 5D, you lose AF and Auto but chipped adapters give focus confirmation.

The things I don't like about the 5DII are the very ordinary autofocus, the lack of on board flash for daytime fill and there are times when I miss the extra reach of a crop body due to the magnification of the crop sensor.