View Single Post
Old 23-07-2010, 05:02 PM
koputai (Jason)

Hi Humayun,

A couple of things have lead me to this point.

1) A month in Canada carrying zooms made me want to use prime's for their better size and weight.

2) Spending a reasonable amount of time taking photo's in rain and snow made me want a sealed body and preferably lenses as well. 7D or 5D2 would address this.

3) The 350D is not supported for lens correction in DPP, and the 10-22mm needs a LOT of correction. It's sharp, wide, and really nice, but edges and corners are way off reality. 7D or 5D2 would address this.

In his choices, Barry has built an awesome all-weather setup. Also, for a given prime, such as Barry's 100mm Macro, he will get more area covered with the full-frame body.

As I want to get some prime's, now would be a good time to choose between FF and 1.6x crop, as lens choice would be different. Ideally I'd like FF equivalents of 50mm and 24mm. This is easy on a FF as there are several options available at these lengths, but with a 1.6x crop, you'd be looking at 30mm and 15mm. The Canon 28mm f/1.8 approximates the 50mm, but to get something similar to the 24mm would mean the Canon 14mm f/2.8L, which just seems like overkill on a crop body.

Special lenses like the 15mm Fisheye and Tilt-Shift's also don't work to full effect on the crop bodies, and these could be an option in the future.

High ISO performance is also a consideration, as this allows decent shots with longer lenses around f/4-f/5.6, rather than spending the national debt on long f/2.8's.

Barry, are you considering anything longer than the 35mm end of your zoom?

Cheers,
Jason.