Thread: Galaxies
View Single Post
Old 28-03-2012, 06:54 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hi Psyche. I'm in Auckland NZ and have a 10" Newt. I spotted M104 (Sombrero) Monday night over in low eastern amongst our CBD light dome. Air was reasonably clear for a change, southerly blowing rubbish away but it is very faint in those conditions. I only just saw it knowing where to look having found it under better ( high north) conditions last year. You will probably find it easier much later at night when it is higher in the sky or wait a few months and it will be further advainced earlier in the evening. My best time at present would be about 4 am so in Australia it will be even later.
I have also found Sculptor in Fornax, again in winter months and at home. Also very dim but quite distinguishable when you recognise it finally. The best way to confirm sightings I find is to recognise the star pattern from a chart and identify where it should be. Then look very carefully using averted vision and well dark adapted eyes. If you've got the location right then all of a sudden something willl flicker through your vision as you search and there it is. A very satisfying moment the first time, or that matter any time !!
As has been previously mentioned they look nothing like you see in the pretty pictures...

Hang in there, patience and perserverance will reward. Then you will want to take pictures .. $$$$$ and more frustrations....