View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 10:49 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi Petra & All,
Looking at the balcony in the upper left corner of the painting and assuming it is level (ie the same as the horizon) and measuring the angle of the shadow it casts with a protractor, the angle of the shadow is 36 degrees -- indicating the altitude of the Sun is about 36 degrees.

That would only be the case if the incident angle of sunlight was parallel to the wall holding the "balcony" (I think it's some kind of awning). Other angles, and the shadow angle on the wall would not be the same as the sun's altitude (at 90° the shadow axis would appear vertical on the wall regardless of the sun's altitude). Looking at the cathedral's orientation, layout and interior, I would agree that no direct sunlight would have been reaching the area most brightly lit in the painting. The awning might have been illuminated by the afternoon sun through the upper windows on the southern side, but the dull look of the light casting that shadow compared to the scene in front of the altar lets me concur with Alex: any clues to actual lighting have been lost to glorification.