View Single Post
Old 21-07-2015, 05:02 PM
Garbz (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
I don't know of many people that use overscan other than Rick.
The reason I started doing overscan correction is that during the calibration step BP will auto-crop the image area out and my camera gives me the full overscanned frame. I started because one particularly dark object in a dark part of the sky wasn't registering. Rick made an off the cuff suggestion about turning on overscan, not to fix the issue I was having but in general and that's when I realised the problem. The start detection picking up thousands of stars; actually it was picking up noise in the overscan area because of how stretched the final images were. I haven't turned it off since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Flat framing does seem to be a black art. I have been fortunate and it has always just worked for me. If it hadn't I guess I might have developed some better diagnostic tools and would have more useful suggestions for Chris
Same here. I don't understand why I can't figure this out all of a sudden, 3 years into this hobby ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
If I have the wrong bias which I like to call "dark flat" as opposed to "light flat" then the scaling is all over the place.
I may just try an experiment with only flats and lights and see what I end up with. Then I'll add bias. Maybe I've got a problem with either my bias or darks, but they shouldn't have changed either.