View Single Post
Old 30-10-2007, 01:11 PM
steveduncan

Teacher in need of advice

Hi there.

I teach at a small high school. We have purchased a 10" dobson telescope and I have had a great year with a small group of enthusiastic students observing through it. I would like to get into imaging and have had one attempt at handheld afocal imaging with a digital camera (avi file and then used registax) with reasonably pleasing, if a little blurry, results.

I love the idea of a webcam/CCD set up and have been considering getting a Meade LPI, as it is fairly cheap and comes with software that I hope will be reasonably easy for the students to use. I don't think I'm at a level where I can modify a Toucam - or would this be better? (Not even sure where to get one)

Would an LPI be a good choice? Would I be better with a Celestron Neximage or should I splash out on an Imaging Source camera? (Which is quite a bit more expensive and would require a bit more fundraising.)

Bear in mind that I'm not after the world's best images, just ones that would impress my students, other teachers and me, and with software that is fairly easy to use (not too many steps). Also am really only thinking of lunar and planetary stuff as I can't guide the telescope.

Am I mad for trying to do this with a Dobson? (I have read the excellent article in this site though and like I said I had a reasonable effort with my earlier attempt with a digital camera).

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Stephen