View Single Post
Old 20-05-2015, 12:32 PM
gregbradley

Oh the dreaded "Unknown Device" message.

All too familiar.

If the Proline is loading fine on someone else's laptop then the cables are likely fine? I find this sort of problem is usually the driver not loading or the computer not reading the camera for some reason.

I see it all the time even with a "stable" setup.

Sometimes merely unplugging the USB cable and replugging it in allows it to be recognised and the driver located. Other times I need to shut down CCDsoft and reload it. Sometimes I need to power off the cam then shut down CCDSoft then reload CCDsoft and then power up the cam.

Sometimes I need to power off the cam, turn off the computer and turn it back on then power up the cam.

Originally I could not get my FLI Filter wheel to be recognised after many tries.

What fixed it was the flilib.dll (I think that's it name) file in CCDsoft was different to the same file in /windows/system32/. I copied one and pasted it in the other to make them match. Apparently they can have a mismatch of different times or something and that makes them fail.

You could try that.

Or simply delete the FLI install and reinstall the FLI driver install freshly.

Starlight Express had me stumped a few months ago. I spent hours trying to get my Trius to run on my Wins 7 laptop (I run XP on my home observatory computer).

I used their latest driver install program to no avail. I then used an older 64 bit driver which worked. So their latest driver install is bugged.

I don't think that is the case with FLI though, their software now seems stable.

Try the above before assuming its a cable (it could be a cable though).

On Sat night I used a different cable for my STi guider. It was working fine. I sat through the first download and it looked sensational. Great.

As soon as I walked out the door the cable must have failed and the STi stopped working. The next morning the whole image run had failed. I was so excited by the quality of the subs. They were outstanding.

Meh - patience is required with this technical hobby as equipment gremlins are common. USB hubs seem particularly sensitive and prone to failure. I think also the sequence of start up is vital. I always turn my computer on and let it boot up before I power up any devices.

One possible source of sudden failures is the computer turned off suddenly without going through the shutdown tediously slow routine.

Greg.