View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
How did you take the image? Can you describe your capture and processing?
I got the unmodified webcam and adapter, downloaded K3CCD, collimated and rushed outside to take my first videos. I tried without a barlow first but that yielded very small images of jupiter. 3x barlow was ok, 5x is good but I feel it may be magnifying too much. It's only a 150mm reflector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
The colour channels are WAY out of alignment - it will improve dramatically just be realigning the colour channels.
The video faithfully represents what I could see at high magnification through an eyepiece: thick bands across the planet and not much else. Focus could be better but after trying for half an hour I couldn't improve it. Waiting until next month when Jupiter is closer and higher in the sky at a reasonable time will help.

I haven't tried playing with colour channels, splitting them, etc. I merely used K3CCD's planet wizard. K3CCD has a lot of options I haven't played with yet.

I have had problems with collimation in the past. The telescope arrived way out of collimation and the secondary had to be moved outward as far as possible. I've used a long tube Cheshire with crosshairs and a laser collimator. As I don't have access to another 6" telescope it's difficult to tell whether what I'm seeing is poor because of the telescope or just conditions.