View Single Post
Old 25-02-2017, 08:17 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

SGP Focus Settings

I've been trying different software packages for semi-automation so that I can at least get some sleep at night! Over the last two weeks I've tried CCDAP which constantly crashes on my new cheap imaging laptop so that's out of the question.
ACP does a pretty reasonable job but a bit more than I'd like to spend at this stage.
I've got SGP so I figured I'd give it another shot. Previously I'd tried using the same focus technique as MaximDL which would give a nice U curve and was really accurate. Because SGP uses the HFD of stars all over the place it seemed to get a bit confused with stars of various sizes came into play which would make a jaggered curve.

Last night I decided to do the same kind of thing that FocusMax when calculating its V curve, work with a FWHM of 40-50 on either side of focus and it was very accurate. So I did 3x3 binned (saves a LOT of time on a slower computer and a 16mp camera), 15 points and large steps. The seeing was shocking last night (best I got was 4.4") so I'm not sure whether it was any better or worse than any other method.

What do others find works well?