View Single Post
Old 26-09-2012, 08:21 AM
eMeR (Rimas)

Question Astrophotography setup. Need advises and recommendations

Hello,

I am new to this forum, so let me introduce myself shortly.
My name is Rimas and I am from Lithuania (Europe). Since school I was interested in astronomy. Almost three years ago (actually that happened on 09 29) I was able to buy my first telescope. Keeping in mind, that I need to take it out of the town for a better view, I have chosen CPC800. I have lots of great time using my telescope since that. I was using it for visual observing. About a year ago I started to take interest in astrophotography. All those fantastic photos drives me crazy… What a views… That is amazing to know that all these beauties are there, what you see as few stars with naked eye. So.. I have tried to make some photos/videos with my scope. Of course all I can do is a few seconds length videos or photos of moon or planets. But I want be able to take photos of DSO. The moment I understand, that my CPC with alt-az mount is a no-go for long exposures photos, I have started to save for my next setup. The one which should allow me to dive into astrophotography. By the way, CPC is still a great scope for visual.

I was reading a lot about setups, looking what people are using under their photo descriptions (sure I know, that people and experience makes photos, not an expensive equipment by itself). I have decided to get best what I can afford in following 6 months, because I want that setup should be reliable and could last for a few years at least (longer is better).

I have started to make my virtual (at the moment) setup:

Mount:
All are saying that the mount is core of astro-photo system. At the beginning I was thinking about SW NEQ6. But after lots of reading I decided to make a huge step ahead and now I am willing to get AP900GTO. All who has this mount are saying what a wonderful piece of technic is this mount. I am almost sure, that I can't go wrong with it. Well… the price is really high, but according to the reviews, this mount is worth every penny. By the way - portability should be in mind, because I still need to take it with me to go away from lights.

Scope:
All the praises go to Takahashi FSQ-106ED. Short focal length, flat sharp view, … Well - its a legend among astrophotographers. And it is really portable.

Camera:
This is something very new to me. I had played a little bit with a DSLR only. I have never used CCD before. Ever.
By reading reviews and looking at photos, I started to think, that SBIG STF-8300M Pro Plus (with 8 places filters wheel, 8 filters, OAG, ST-i guider) bundle would be great for me. At least - all comes from one maker so there should be no compatibility issues. Overall SBIG is a well known manufacturer and reviews of STF8300 are not bad. The only thing I am not sure about this bundle is ST-i version - mono or color. It would be fantastic if color version would be sensitive enough to use as a guider and use it for moon and planets videos. But I do not want to loose guiding sensitivity. So looks like I should forget color version of ST-i. Right or not? And overall - is ST-i OK as a guider or should I think about another one?

Tripod:
The same moment I was started too look about available tripods I was amazed about reviews of Rob Miller's ones. Because I need lightweight but rigid tripod, I almost stopped to look at others. I think TRI36M would be perfect for 900GTO. The problem I am in the Europe. I have asked Rob about shipping cost. I was shocked… $644!!!!!!! Meanwhile shipping to the Poland (which is nearby) would be $148. And the distance between capitals is only ~500km (~312miles). I will be forced too look for a friend of friends in Poland or something. $650 for shipping.. thats a nonsense. For 9.5kg (21 lbs). Overall I am jealous of all that available stuff in the USA at relative low prices.. Do you know how much 900GTO costs in Europe? 9170 EUROS! At todays exchange rate that is about $11830… Thats the price of 1600GTO in USA

Accessories:
Here I will need most of your help. Because I am making this setup by currently not having any of its parts… For example - what adapters or something is required to attach STF-8300 with filters wheel to a FSQ106? And how FSQ should be mounted on the 900GTO? Will the TKA36420 (Tube holder) be OK for that or I need another thing? I am asking about those things, because I wouldn't be very happy to miss something, and one day when (I hope so) I will get all parts no be able to use, because an adapter is required.

Definitely I will need RoboFocus or similar focuser. Maybe some dew protection. What else? What about those miles of wires between mount/guider/camera and computer? Is it USB everything nowadays or still those USB-COM converters are required?

That my thoughts. Any suggestions, corrections etc are welcome.

Regards,

P.S. As I understand, 900GTO can be used as a standalone (no computer required) mount for visual observing? I like my CPC for its ability to look quickly here and there using GoTo system.

R.